By Seyoum, Mulugeta
Read or Download A grammar of Dime (Omotic) PDF
Best linguistics books
This A-Z encyclopedia covers over a hundred and fifty parts of linguistics resembling phonetics, dyslexia, semantics, grammar, phonology, rhetoric, stylistics, the foundation of languages, writing structures, old linguistics, pidgins, psycholinguistics, speech remedy, and lexicography.
Reflecting a mess of advancements within the learn of language swap and version during the last ten years, this widely up to date moment variation includes a variety of new chapters and is still the authoritative reference quantity on a middle examine quarter in linguistics.
• an absolutely revised and multiplied version of this acclaimed reference paintings, which has validated its attractiveness in accordance with its unrivalled scope and intensity of study during this interdisciplinary field
• contains seven new chapters, whereas the rest have passed through thorough revision and updating to include the newest examine and mirror various advancements within the field
• Accessibly dependent via topic, overlaying themes together with info assortment and overview, linguistic constitution, language and time, language touch, language domain names, and social differentiation
• Brings jointly an skilled, overseas editorial and contributor workforce to offers an unrivalled studying, educating and reference device for researchers and scholars in sociolinguistics
Mongolic Phonology and the Qinghai-Gansu Languages
The peripheral Mongolic languages of the Qinghai-Gansu zone in China comprise
Eastern Yugur (Shira Yugur) and the Shirongol languages. The latter might be subdivided in a Monguor department, together with Mongghul and Mangghuer, and a Baoanic department, together with Baoan, Kangjia, and Dongxiang (Santa).
The inner taxonomy of the Qinghai-Gansu languages might be mentioned in a separate section.
The Qinghai-Gansu languages are more and more well-described. They
have additionally been the topic of reports in language touch, regularly within the context
of the Amdo or Qinghai-Gansu Sprachbund.
This research will strategy the phonology of Qinghai-Gansu Mongolic
from a comparative ancient standpoint. It offers an outline of the phonological advancements of the Qinghai-Gansu languages, evaluating them to the reconstructed ancestral language. even as it is going to examine the
archaic good points that may be present in those languages, in an effort to increase the
reconstructions of person Mongolic lexemes.
The publication ends with a comparative complement of approximately 1350
reconstructed universal Mongolic goods, followed via the fashionable kinds they're in accordance with and, the place worthwhile, arguments for the selected reconstruction.
- Геральдический словарь-атлас на 6 языках
- Approaches to Grammaticalization, Volume II: Types of Grammatical Markers
- Metaphor and Thought
- The Cambridge History of the English Language, Volume 1: The Beginning to 1066
- Fighting Talk: Boxing and the Modern Lexicon
Additional info for A grammar of Dime (Omotic)
1 Phonological processes Spirantization Stops are spirantized after vowels; whereas spirantization is blocked through gemination (cf. 4). Even though the application of this process varies from speaker to speaker, the spirantization of bilabial stops after vowels is a common phenomenon. The segments p and b are the basic forms since spirantization is blocked due to gemination. The followings are examples: /p, b / > [џ, ਫ] / v- or -v /yape/ > [yaџe] //in-kabow/ > [/in-kaਫow] /liNub/ > [liNuਫ] ‘sky’ ‘towards you’ ‘clean’ 128.
3 Tone and affixation In this section we discuss tone stability and contour tones. Tone stability is observed when a vowel resyllabifies or when a phonological rule deletes a tone-bearing unit (TBU) and the tone remains unaffected and associates with an adjacent TBU. Such stability can not be accounted for if tone is assumed to be an integral part of the phonological segment on which it appears in the phonetic representation. 14 Tone stability shows that tone is an auto-segmental unit. In Dime, when the plural or definite marker is added to the root the terminal vowel is deleted but the tone remains attached to the suffix.
Chapter 3 48 In example (33a-b) we see that the case marker is affixed to the modifier if the latter is the last element of the phrase. If instead, the word order of NP is modifier-head, -im is attached to the noun as in example (34). 34. s#iftaye s’a⁄n-ub zit-is⁄-im s#in-i-n shiftaye black-M ox-DEF-ACC buy-PF-3 ‘Shiftaye bought the ox’ It is observed that the accusative can be marked two or more times in a sentence as in (35) and (36), where it is marked both on the modifier and the head noun.
A grammar of Dime (Omotic) by Seyoum, Mulugeta