By by Mark T. Miller.
Read Online or Download A grammar of West Coast Bajau PDF
Similar linguistics books
This A-Z encyclopedia covers over a hundred and fifty parts of linguistics resembling phonetics, dyslexia, semantics, grammar, phonology, rhetoric, stylistics, the starting place of languages, writing platforms, old linguistics, pidgins, psycholinguistics, speech treatment, and lexicography.
Reflecting a mess of advancements within the examine of language swap and version over the past ten years, this broadly up to date moment variation contains a variety of new chapters and is still the authoritative reference quantity on a middle examine sector in linguistics.
• an absolutely revised and extended variation of this acclaimed reference paintings, which has proven its acceptance according to its unrivalled scope and intensity of study during this interdisciplinary field
• comprises seven new chapters, whereas the rest have passed through thorough revision and updating to include the newest learn and mirror a variety of advancements within the field
• Accessibly based through subject, overlaying issues together with facts assortment and assessment, linguistic constitution, language and time, language touch, language domain names, and social differentiation
• Brings jointly an skilled, foreign editorial and contributor staff to presents an unrivalled studying, educating and reference software for researchers and scholars in sociolinguistics
Mongolic Phonology and the Qinghai-Gansu Languages
The peripheral Mongolic languages of the Qinghai-Gansu zone in China comprise
Eastern Yugur (Shira Yugur) and the Shirongol languages. The latter might be subdivided in a Monguor department, such as Mongghul and Mangghuer, and a Baoanic department, including Baoan, Kangjia, and Dongxiang (Santa).
The inner taxonomy of the Qinghai-Gansu languages might be mentioned in a separate section.
The Qinghai-Gansu languages are more and more well-described. They
have additionally been the topic of reports in language touch, in general within the context
of the Amdo or Qinghai-Gansu Sprachbund.
This research will strategy the phonology of Qinghai-Gansu Mongolic
from a comparative old perspective. It presents an summary of the phonological advancements of the Qinghai-Gansu languages, evaluating them to the reconstructed ancestral language. while it is going to examine the
archaic good points that may be present in those languages, so that it will increase the
reconstructions of person Mongolic lexemes.
The booklet ends with a comparative complement of approximately 1350
reconstructed universal Mongolic goods, observed by means of the fashionable types they're in response to and, the place valuable, arguments for the selected reconstruction.
- Teach Yourself Urdu (4th Edition)
- Knowledge and Indifference in English Romantic Prose
- The Universal Structure of Categories: Towards a Formal Typology
- Linguistics: An Introduction to Language and Communication
Extra info for A grammar of West Coast Bajau
1 below. For each phoneme, the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) symbol is shown on the left, and its orthographic representation is shown in parentheses on the right. 1 Consonant phonemes and their allophones Stops are unreleased in word-final position, and released elsewhere. The trill /r/ is realized as a flap intervocalically. Nasals and the lateral segment are syllabic in word-initial position when they precede a consonant.
When the term of address differs from the kinship term, the term of address is shown in parentheses. 2) ella ‘husband’ endo ‘wife’ metoo ‘parent-in-law’ ayuwan ‘child-in-law’ bayaw ‘brother-in-law’ (only used by a male) langu’ ‘sister-in-law’ (when used by a male); ‘sibling-in-law’ (when used by a female) biras ‘co-sibling-in-law’ (the term used for spouse’s sibling’s spouse) Close family and friends are often called by their nicknames, except when the addressee is at least a generation older than the speaker.
WC Bajau has an applicative suffix (-an1) which promotes a variety of oblique argument types to undergoer status, and this suffix can co-occur with the actor voice prefix (N-). 2 WC Bajau and other languages of Borneo Given WC Bajau’s status as an Indonesian-type language, we might ask how it compares with other Bornean languages. As mentioned above, most of Sabah’s indigenous languages have been grouped with the Philippine type. Perhaps it is not surprising, then, that WC Bajau differs markedly from the Sabahan languages with regard to several morphosyntactic features.
A grammar of West Coast Bajau by by Mark T. Miller.